Contact lenses are completely different from eyeglasses, which require their own maintenance regimen. When you get your first pair of contact lenses, your eye doctor in Champaign, IL, will tell you what you need to know about caring for them. It’s important to follow all the care instructions provided to ensure that your contacts last as long as possible. Here’s what you need to know.
Tips for Taking Care of Your Contacts
The most important thing you can do to care for your contacts is to follow all instructions from your eye doctor when you are first given contacts. Following your eye doctor’s instructions will help you avoid damaging your contacts or getting infections in your eye. Other tips include:
- Always wash your hands with soap and water, then dry them before touching your contact lenses.
- Never use homemade saline for your contacts.
- Never reuse your contact lens solution.
- To clean your contact lenses, rub your contacts with newly cleaned fingers, then rinse the lenses with a sterile contact lens cleaning solution. Soak the lenses in water.
- Never store your contacts in tap water.
- Never put contacts in your mouth to wet them.
Store your contacts in a clean contact lens case. Rinse the case with sterile contact lens solution, then leave it to dry in the open air. Replace your contact lens case every three months.
Have Questions? Ask Your Eye Doctor
Your eye doctor at Champaign Eye Professionals can tell you what you need to know about caring for your contact lenses in Champaign, IL. If you have questions, call us today to make an appointment or to speak to one of our professionals.