Can Diabetes Affect Your Eyesight?
Diabetes is a chronic disease that affects millions of people worldwide. One of the lesser-known complications of diabetes is its effect on your eyesight. In this article, we will discuss how diabetes can affect your eyes and what you can do to prevent and manage diabetic-related eye problems.
The experienced team at Champaign Eye Professionals of Champaign, IL, is proud to serve the local community with premium eye care services, including treating and diagnosing issues that relate to diabetes, regardless of their severity.
What are Diabetic Related Eye Problems?
Diabetes can damage the blood vessels in the eyes, leading to several eye problems, including:
- Diabetic retinopathy – a condition that damages the blood vessels in the retina and can cause vision loss.
- Diabetic macular edema – swelling in the macula, which can cause blurry vision and potentially lead to vision loss.
- Glaucoma – a condition that damages the optic nerve and can lead to vision loss if left untreated.
The symptoms of diabetic-related eye problems can vary depending on the condition, but common symptoms include the following:
- Blurred or distorted vision
- Eye floaters or spots
- Eye pain or pressure
- Difficulty seeing in low light
- Loss of peripheral vision
Your Quality Eye Care Provider
We understand the importance of early detection and treatment of diabetic-related eye problems. Our team of experienced professionals uses the latest technology and techniques to diagnose and treat these conditions effectively. Our clinic is also dedicated to educating and supporting our patients to help them manage their diabetes and reduce their risk of developing eye problems. Our goal is to provide quality care and ensure the best possible outcomes for our patients.
During your next appointment with the trained team at Champaign Eye Professionals of Champaign, IL, you can be confident that you are receiving the best care and guidance you and your family deserve.