There are many things that can cause your eyes to become red, and some of those problems are more serious than others. Knowing what makes your eyes red can help you decide when it’s time to see an eye doctor in Champaign IL.
Causes of Red Eyes
Below are some of the most common causes of red eye.
- Allergies – Allergies can exacerbate the eyes, causing itchiness, redness and puffiness.
- Dry eye – Dry eye is a condition that can occur for a variety of reasons. Dry eyes can be very itchy. Rubbing dry eyes can cause them to become red.
- Conjunctivitis – Conjunctivitis is a type of bacterial or viral infection that causes the eyes to become red, inflamed and sensitive to light.
- Overuse of contact lenses – Overuse of contact lenses can cause eye irritation and may cause the eyes to turn red, so it’s very important to use contact lenses only as prescribed.
- Other conditions – Some other more serious conditions, like glaucoma, can lead to red eyes.
What You Can Do
If you’re suffering from red eyes, it’s important to contact your eye doctor and describe your symptoms. Your eye doctor at Champaign Eye Professionals can tell you whether you need to see your eye doctor, or if the problem will clear up on its own.
Know When to See Champaign Eye Professionals
If one or both of your eyes are red and you’re experiencing discomfort, contact your eye doctor for an eye exam in Champaign IL. Whether you’re experiencing dry eyes, allergies or another condition, it’s important to get a diagnoses and get help as soon as possible. Call today to make an appointment.