Night vision is incredibly important, especially when you’re driving! If you’re having trouble with your night vision, see the eye doctor in Champaign, IL. Your eye doctor at Champaign Eye Professionals can help you determine the cause of your trouble and make recommendations for improving your night vision.
Poor vision in low lighting is not an eye disease but a symptom of another problem. There are many things that can potentially cause this kind of issue.
- Cataracts – this condition causes the lens of the eye to become foggy
- Nearsightedness (myopia) – this condition can be exacerbated when the eyes dilate in low-light conditions
- Glaucoma medications – some of these medications work by restricting the pupil
Many of these issues have solutions, but treatment for poor night vision depends on the cause. To find out why you’re having trouble seeing at night, make an appointment with your eye doctor for an eye exam. Your eye doctor may prescribe corrective lenses or recommend a procedure that can help. Even if there’s no way to fix the problem, your eye doctor can still offer tips to help keep you safe in low-light conditions.
Tips to Drive Safely
If you have poor night vision, check with your eye doctor to be sure that driving at night is safe. If your eye doctor clears you for night driving, the following tips can help keep your journey safe:
- Plan your route in advance
- Keep lights inside the car down low
- Wear corrective lenses for driving
- Avoid driving unfamiliar routes in low light conditions
- See the eye doctor regularly to catch changes in your vision before they become severe
Having trouble with night vision? The first step is to find out why. Call your eye doctor at Champaign Eye Professionals to schedule an eye exam in Champaign, IL.